FAQ for Current Students at U-M
- I am a graduate student at U-M. Can I explore the possibility of joining your lab?
Yes! Please feel free to email Prof. Yang to set up a meeting. The research can be done for credit (590 Independent Study) or pay (hourly temp). A general rule for current MS students: we do not offer full-time research assistantships to students unless they have spent a semester working in ICRL on a research project.
- I am an undergraduate student at U-M. Are there opportunities to participate in your research?
Yes, we normally take 1 or 2 undergraduate students every year through the undergraduate research (SURE) program. Please apply here.
FAQ for Prospective Students
- I am applying to the IOE PhD program. Do you have PhD positions?
Yes, typically we admit 1-2 of the most promising students annually. We are looking for strong, motivated PhD students from psychology (engineering psychology / cognitive psychology / organizational psychology / etc.) and engineering disciplines (Industrial Engineering / Electrical Engineering & Computer Science / Mechanical Engineering / Civil Engineering / etc.). If you are interested, we encourage you to apply to the IOE PhD program. In particular, we recommend you select Human-Systems Integration/Human Factors/Ergonomics as your area of interest and mention Prof. Yang in your statement.
- I am applying to the School of Information/Robotics PhD program. Can I join your lab?
We primarily admit students through the IOE PhD program and occasionally from the SI or the Robotics PhD program. If you are ONLY interested in SI or Robotics but not IOE, please drop Prof. Yang an email and enquire about her admission plan.
- I am applying to the IOE MS program. Can I join you and get a Research Assistant position in your lab?
There are research opportunities for MS students. Funding is possible but not guaranteed. A general rule for MS students: we do not offer full-time research assistantships to students unless they have spent a semester working in ICRL on a research project.
- Do you have postdoc positions?
No, we have no postdoc positions currently.